Wednesday 11 March 2015

tuning into NXT... on time.

To quote BBR, "Rare footage of Oxi watching NXT on time". And holy heck I'm glad I did. This episode was pretty good overall and certainly for once catered more to WHAT I WANT THAN WHAT YOU WANT.


CERTIFIED WINNING MATCHES
BONAFIDE CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDERS


Opening with Enzo & Cass against the Lucha Dragons was almost a great change of pace.
I'd say it was actually a great change of pace if the tag team division wasn't treated like it lacks worth for some ungodly reason. But nonetheless, I certainly like the idea of allowing Enzo & Cass to treat even face teams (or supposed face teams I guess) like the Lucha Dragons with a bit more EDGE, instead of being some goodie-two-shoes-cookie-cutter faces that only smack-talk the bad guys.

I'll be among the first to admit that though Enzo & Cass have almost unparalleled charisma as a tag team in today's age, their ring work isn't magnificent, but, I wouldn't say it's bad. It's more than acceptable, but not near a level where they can put on any MOTY contenders even with great opponents unfortunately. That being said, they are still in the remnants of what was once developmental for a reason.

Overall the match was plodding at points and it could have been a bit faster. Enzo's not a big guy so I don't see why he doesn't have a bit more spring in his step in his matches, even if he's booked as a guy who gets his ass whipped all the time. The smack talking and cockiness at the start set the mood well though, and Cass once again coming to the aid of Enzo more than once was easily the best part of the match. First pushing him out of the way and then coming back with fortitude only a 7 foot tall man can have from birth - and not be taught - to turn the tables single-handedly for the victory was perfect. Best big-guy big boot these days btw.

Story-wise, awesome match with an awesome finish. I'm glad they're making Cass a subtle powerhouse who almost always carries Enzo to a good match, but isn't too overbooked that it's annoying.


As Carmella walks out alone (for the first time?) I'm wondering if she could hold herself on the microphone without Enzo or Cass there to back her up. I won't say she's great but she can definitely hold her own. At least it seems like she lives the character. That's a good trait, especially for Carmella, because I don't think any other females bar maybe Charlotte actually seem to live their character in NXT. Total Divas doesn't mean SHIT.

A match between two VERY NEW divas that is actually watchable is something I never thought I'd say. Carmella is decent and Bliss has improved dramatically since I remember her being on TV back when she had a little mini-feud with Sasha. The match was far from fantastic, and was definitely not something I'll remember in the coming weeks, but considering their lack of experience, the match was definitely impressive. Certainly working proof that NXT as developmental was never a problem at all, and televising developmental talent is a good idea, as well as working proof of the great training by Sara Del Rey on the divas.

Bliss vs. Sasha down the road may be a good match but Bliss really needs to improve to take on one of the greatest modern womens' wrestlers in WWE history in a match that can impress like the divas matches at every other special.


Alex Riley's promo seemed to drift off into the distance - far from the point - but I think we got the gist. If Riley has such conviction to do a promo like that even after his career almost being entirely tarnished by John FUCKFACE Cena's politicking backstage, he definitely should be given another opportunity. So I'm glad he is.


Of course with most of Riley's in-ring attempts, the match wasn't fantastic but wasn't bad either. I don't understand the point of a guy coming out with RAGE and then being locked into rest-holds for a good portion of an already short match, but it did pick up I suppose. I can't really mention anything on Riley's side because it wasn't anything special. CJ Parker however did show some proof that he should be given a proper push as more than an enhancement talent on the (now ex-) developmental show, what with his heel work during his amazing entrance and the match.

Hopefully Riley can be a legitimate opponent for Owens and actually give him some trouble instead of getting whipped like Zayn did.

P.S. I like the idea they got Riley, a legitimately big guy, to take on Owens to inevitably lose. Owens will look a lot better in my eyes - and probably to a lot more people - when he physically dominates a guy like Riley too.

P.P.S. Let CJ Parker, a somewhat legitimately big guy, take on Owens too sometime down the road or something. HE DENTED HIS ARMOUR.


For some reason, CJ Parker vs. Alex Riley didn't close the show and we have another Itami vs. Breeze match which I can't be assed watching. Maybe someone should tell me if it was any good or not and I might get around to it. I don't really care though.

Main event of the night for me was Parker vs. Riley and Riley's EMOTIONAL BREAKDOWN after realising FAT KASSIUS OHNO has a family and Alex Riley, a university jock from the original NXT, has no family, and is/was stuck in a cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment