Wednesday 3 June 2015

Elimination Chamber 2015: RIP Rusev, in our hearts for 6-10 weeks

DIS-AP-POINTED


Despite the fact I should probably NOT CARE AT ALL ABOUT THIS ENTIRE EVENT BECAUSE OF RUSEV'S FUCKING INJURY, I still did, and looked forward to both chamber matches as well as Owens vs. Cena.

I won't say I was let down but my expectations weren't met at all in any capacity. Though, that's more of me having such expectations. The event was pretty average overall. And it seems like it was thrown together relatively quickly, and the Intercontinental Championship chamber was at a loss because of Rusev's very recent injury.




LUCHA DRAGONS vs. THE ASScension vs. TYSON KIDD & CESARO
vs. LOS MATADORES vs. PRIME TIME PLAYERS vs. THE NEW DAY (c)
Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Tag Team Championship
'bretty gud'

I've always wanted to see a tag team match in the elimination chamber, but I never thought they'd go all out and put six tag teams in. I always thought it would be four tag teams, with one guy from each team starting the match off and the other guy in each of the other pods. Instead of that, we get six tag teams crowding up the place.

For what it was, it was pretty good though. When I saw that The ASScension and Los Matadores were in the match my expectations went from good to average, so if the match was good with them in it I guess it exceeded my expectations.

There's no doubt the match could have been so much better if they didn't completely gimp Kalisto in the entire match. Keeping him grounded on the pod roof for like three minutes was probably the worst thing not to do with Konnor or Los Matadores in the whole match, even though I really do think Konnor was meant to take a Swanton from Kalisto mid-match but was too close to the corner for him to safely do it.

Unfortunately there weren't many spots in this match at all, but Titus did get his big goofy head in the chains which has been done umpteen times before, but because it was Titus' first time it was pretty awesome.

The right guys WON, at least. New Day are crazy over and I really hope their reign goes for a while longer.




PAIGE vs. NAOMI vs. NIKKI BELLA (c)
Triple Threat match for the WWE Divas Championship
'literally SKIPPED'




KEVIN OWENS vs. JOHN CENA
Champion vs. Champion match
'bretty gud'

Maybe it takes me a while to get used to the dramatic things that happen when Owens is involved - I mean it took me a pretty long time to actually like the guy and now I rate him among my top three favourite guys right now - but I really think this match was kinda silly.

A solid debut for Owens, but I don't think this was even a debut. What is he doing exactly? He's the NXT Champion and he wins against a former fifteen time World Champion, but past that, he's still technically not even on the main roster? It's confusing that they'd let Owens be victorious over Cena in such a match when guys like Neville or Zayn can't be. I like Owens, I like the other two as well, but I don't understand the logic behind letting a guy currently in the apparent/supposed developmental system beat the ten year face of the company in a big match, when a guy who WAS in the apparent/supposed developmental system can't beat him, and neither can a guy who HAS BEEN in the apparent/supposed developmental system for way too long can't either.

The ending was bittersweet, no doubt. I'm glad he won, but I don't understand it.

During the match though, I did mark heavy for Owens pulling out the big guns. That moonsault was fucking insane, probably the spot of the night regardless of the match. Even if he has done more crazy shit in the past, that was incredible for a WWE standard. I used to think Zayn jumping from the second to top rope for the crossbody was awesome, but that's tame AND lame in comparison. Owens wins by a mile yet again.

MITB rematch is blurgh though. Cena probably going to get his win back like he did Wyatt and Rusev.

... Fat guy curse?




NEVILLE vs. BO DALLAS
to continue the NXT push of talents
'passable'

It'd be silly to expect a good match out of Bo Dallas at any point of his career, let alone a great one, but this is probably one of his better matches on the main roster, despite the fact I remember almost nothing about it.

The pre-match promo from Bo seemed a bit unusually dark, I hope he doesn't change into a more 'serious' character because he definitely can't pull it off as well as he's pulling off the current character of 'comedy jobber', which by itself could have a good US or IC Championship run.

As for Neville, having matches like these are a waste of his time. In fact, I'd consider these short, pointless matches in which he'd obviously win to be a hindrance if anything. Over-exposing a guy who relies on moves like Neville's to get over with the fans is probably one of the silliest things they could do. Why waste his Red Arrow, which eventually will be boring to the masses, on a match with Bo?




KING BARRETT vs. DOLPH ZIGGLER vs. R-TRUTH
vs. MARK HENRY vs. RYBACK vs. SHEAMUS
Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
'weak'

Yes I was and still am incredibly disappointed that Rusev was injured prior to this match and we had to go without seeing the BULGARIAN BRUTE ravage his way through people in the chamber and possibly even win. That's a given.

But I'm also disappointed the match was obviously in shambles because of the extremely recent injury. Mark Henry taking the place was better than some alternatives but ultimately everything in the match looked like it was lost due to one person's injury, excluding Sheamus' not-entering-the-match spot.

I don't understand how a match like that gets so slow and the wrestlers involved seem so confused because one person is out of the match. It can't be that hard to speed up the pace instead of lumbering around for a long time, can it?

The beginning was fine, clearly either because Barrett and Ziggler have good chemistry and Barrett's elimination was likely booked - and everything after that, with Henry coming out, was booked with Rusev in mind - but I really can't fathom how former World Champions in Sheamus, Ziggler and Henry, as well as longstanding wrestlers in Ryback and Truth can be so confused in the middle of a match.




DEAN AMBROSE vs. SETH ROLLINS (c)
for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship
'passable'

WWE have overdone this feud already, which is very, very disappointing given the fact these guys could have had such a lengthy rivalry that didn't feel as if it ran dry within the first month or two.
And the screw-about finish was so obvious that it made the match so pointless to even watch. At least for once Rollins didn't get DQed because of his Authority pals jumping in and helping, and did it himself.

Honestly nothing to even say about the match, it went through the motions, nothing was special, nothing was great, it was a let-down yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment